Doing business sustainably
Clean watercourses and a living environment in harmony with water.... that is clearly a very socially responsible aim. But our approach to realising these objectives also has to be as sustainable as possible.
Strategy and sustainability go hand in hand
The quality of surface water, changing weather patterns, scarcity of natural resources and reliability of the sewer infrastructure: in all of these major challenges in the water industry, Aquafin plays roles that make us resilient while simultaneously offering added value for society. Doing business sustainably therefore forms an integral part of our corporate strategy and is consequently high on management’s agenda.
With these seven strategic priorities we are now building clean watercourses for future generations and a living environment in harmony with water:
- Coordination of Flemish waste water infrastructure: we play a broad, coordinating role in the development and optimisation of the waste water infrastructure in Flanders.
- Optimal operational functioning: we continually optimise our operational functioning, primarily in terms of safety, environmental impact and cost-efficiency.
- Innovation: we dedicate our people's expertise and our assets fully to innovation which leads to socially relevant and cost-effective services and products.
- Differentiation of products and services: we study and make the most of our potential as a supplier of energy, heat, water, nutrients and other water-related products and services.
- At one with our environment: we use our impact on the environment as e lever for the creation of a pleasant neighbourhood with space for nature and water. The entrance to our company is inviting and accessible.
- Modern and inclusive employer: we want to lead the way as a modern and inclusive employer.
- Digitalisation: for us, digitalisation forms the basis for innovation, customer experience, increasing efficiency and optimisation of products and services.
Our key SDGs
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030. Although these are Global Goals, also companies can align their strategies as well as measure and manage their contribution to the realization of the ambitious UN programme.
The SDGs are also our compass. Through our strategic priorities, we can interact with all the SDGs but these are key:
Beyond Flanders too
Flanders is the region in which we work on a daily basis. But we also care about water quality outside of Flanders.
On the one hand, our subisdiary Aquaplus mainly provides consulting and engineering services on a commercial basis in the international market.
On the other hand, we support projects of NGOs and not-for-profit organisations designed to improve water quality and access to drinking water and hygienic sanitation in developing countries. We consider the expertise which our employees contribute on a voluntary basis to help the project succeed to be just as important as the financial support we provide. In this way, we also help to make the projects more sustainable.
Join for water (Protos)
Join for water (Protos) is a professional NGO committed to fair, sustainable and participatory water management and consumption. We have already worked together for many years. The latest projects in which we have taken part focus on developing and improving the sanitation chain for latrines in Madagascar and Mali. We advised on aspects including the choice of system, while two employees guided the local managers in Madagascar in dealing with sludge.
Entrepreneurs for Entrepreneurs
Aquafin is a key member of Entrepreneurs for Entrepreneurs. Through this organisation, we support entrepreneurship in low and middle income countries in Africa, South America and Asia. This can either be through cooperation with an NGO or via B2B projects. Several employees are in the expertise network or help the not-for-profit organisation with communication around their projects.